Below is a no-nonsense list of crucial tips and resources to help you drive traffic to your site. I also am including information on how to manipulate the content for improved rank at Google.
Blog Topic Resources
- Google Trends – Use Top Charts and consider receiving emails with “Subscriptions”
- Topsy.com – this is a blog / twitter topic finder.
Blogging Tips for SEO Rank
Apply the following to your content to gain better rank with Google:
- No less than 300 words.
- A photo of yourself should be posted within the article. This reinforces the personal approach.
- Do not exceed more than two posts a week.
- Repeat your keywords a few times in content body. Use them naturally.
- External links (off site) are also good. Linking to smaller sites at first is the best strategy
- Limit your paragraphs to five to seven sentences.
- Use your keyword within the first 100 words in your post.
- Place your call to action, re: “Call us” or “Sign Up,” in the middle of your content area. It’s a better placement.
- Use at least one relevant image. Impactful images are best. Make sure they are compressed so they load fast.
- Create an expectation with paragraph one.
- Bold, italicize, and underline your keywords or phrases containing your keywords.
- Use actionable phrases. Sell Google+ when possible.
- Kill all post spam in your comment area.
- Never post on the day you wrote it. You will find errors on day two.
- Read your posts aloud before going live. This will help you find errors.
- Respond to those who have commented on your post.
- Main headers and sub headers:
- Reduce header length. Say it with less.
- Start with a number in your page title / page name. For example “10 Best…” or “5 Fastest…”
- Include keywords in the beginning of your page titles / headers.
Activities To Avoid
- Copying content from any other website.
- Creating an epic header and not meeting the expectation.
- Over-stuffing your posts with keywords, placing them unnaturally.
- Degrading value by posting at an unnatural frequency.
- Uploading large photos (greater than 50K) to the post. Load time must be fast.
- Being negative.
- Neglecting to give credit to those who have supplied content or photos. Link back to their site.
- Poor spelling and bad grammar.
Optimize Your Content For The Google Spiders
- Make sure page metas, XML site maps, and Headers all are sharpened for Google.
- Image names and alt tag must reflect keywords.
- Keywords may need to be adjusted because the words are too narrow.
- Change all internal links to absolute. Let the copycats send you traffic.
- Use the Yoast SEO plugin. Its fantastic! If you doubt my recommendation, take note of the total amount of downloads on this page.
The Post is Finished. Now What?
- Post the new blog link to your business Facebook page. FYI: The Yoast SEO plugin will allow you to change the image and message that Facebook uses to create the post. Check the “Social” tab.
- Blog summary to Google+.
- Submit the blog to Stumbleupon.com.
Keep Your Expectations In Check
- Success does not happen right away. It will take a while (usually months) for traffic to build.
- The valuable content always wins.
- 5% of your content creates 90% of your traffic. This is true for most posters.
- Do not give up. People are interested in your content.
I hope these blogging tips help you. Come back again. I’m sure there will be more info soon.